The homepage is the first thing that a user visits a website and is the most visited and authoritative page on the website. The home page is generally the first page a user visits and it marks the first impression of the website impression should be the best impression that a user should have. This will make the user stay longer and will increase the credibility of the website. While your service and product pages get you rankings on specific keywords, the homepage is the essence of the website. And as the homepage is the most important page on the website, thus extra attention needs to be paid in terms of content, user experience and more. Apart from all these, there are a few more specifics that need to be taken care of, and here are the most important factors that need to be implemented in order to optimize the homepage of the website for best SEO results:
From an SEO perspective, the optimization of a homepage is no different than doing SEO on other pages of your website. What matters is the content quality and content is the most important aspect that impacts the search ranking of a webpage.
Optimize the Homepage Title
Your business name should be as the homepage title, this gives search engines more information about your website’s main focus.
Homepage title SEO guidelines:
- Keep the title up to 50-60 characters.
- Don’t just use your brand name but include keywords that represent your business or website.
- Make sure that your target keywords are placed in the beginning of the title
- Don’t confuse Google by adding too many keywords in the title. Add the keywords that you want to be known for.
- No keyword stuffing, for example don’t do this “Digital Marketing | SEO | Social Media | Links”, instead do this “Low Cost Digital Marketing Services by [Your website name]”
- Add your domain or business name in the beginning of the title
Optimize the Homepage Meta Description
The Meta Description should be well thought off and should be relevant to the page. This description is what users will see in the SERPS, so you may want to give it a bit of thought, the more relevant the content is, the more is the Click-Through Rate (CTR).
Meta Description Guidelines:
- Meta description length should be around 160 characters.
- Each page should have a unique meta description
- A good description accurately summarizes the page content
- Avoid auto-generated descriptions
- Include keywords in your descriptions
- Use schemas to enhance the appearance of your snippet
Optimize the H1 tag
The next most important thing to optimize is to optimize the Heading Tags. The H1 tag is normally at the top of the page and most themes are configured to display the page title enclosed in h1 tags. Each and every page of your website (including the homepage), needs to have one (and only one) H1 tag.
Homepage Image SEO
Each homepage contains some form of images, either in the form of banner images or other images.
Image SEO Guidelines:
- You set an ALT text that describes the image
- Include in your ALT text keywords in a natural way
- When an image includes text, try to separate the image part from the text. Search engines cannot read text that is embedded in a jpg or png.
- For maximum SEO, keep the image without the text and add the text using CSS and HTML.
Content on a webpage is the most important factor that can help a page rank in google search engine results page. A bare minimum of 500 words (not a rule but a suggestion) should be present on the page in order to rank it on google search. Also, the content quality matters a lot, along with keyword density and the overall distribution of keywords as well. Regardless of the homepage style you choose, be it a single page website, a blog or an e-commerce store, you need to ensure that there is enough text content on the page.